Ever wondered if you need a baby carrier for air travel?
Well, baby carriers are highly recommended for air travel because they make carrying the baby easier and they also give the baby some needed support.
There are so many things to consider before getting a baby carrier and that we’ve come up with a selection of the best baby carriers for air travel to make the task of finding what you want easy for you.
We usually recommend the Ergobaby Omni 360 Baby carrier but check out our selection, it’s filled with high-quality products at affordable prices.
Best Baby Carriers for Newborns
When choosing a baby carrier for air travel, you have two options: You can either choose a soft structured baby carrier or a wrap baby carrier.
Whichever one you decide to go for, make sure it can support the baby’s neck very well. Good neck support is important because babies are unable to hold their heads upright without help in the first few months.
A baby carrier also helps the baby to rest in a natural position.
We have come up with a list of top-rated baby carriers that will also give your baby the needed support.
I’ve seen many parents using the one we recommend onboard.
Wrap carriers are generally more affordable and they adjust easily to you and your baby’s body supporting them in their natural frog position.
You may take a while to get used to using one but the one we recommend is quite easy to use.
K’tan Baby Wrap Carrier
Our Rate: 4.2/5
- HANDS FREE BABYWEARING: Keep newborn babies, preemies and infants close while you go about your day. Our unique baby wrap design also supports your best position for easy breastfeeding on the go.
- SIMPLE DESIGN: The Baby K'tan baby wrap is quick and easy to wear - no rings, belts, buckles or excess fabric. This infant carrier is the no-wrap wrap! Just slip the sling over your head like a t-shirt.
- COMPLETE COMFORT: Made from 100% cotton, our baby carrier allows even weight distribution, and the breathable fabric is soft against baby skin. Not bulky or frilly - ideal for both moms and dads.
- SAFE AND SECURE: Our infant holder’s unique double loop design and one way stretch hold your baby securely in place, and the wrap carrier’s natural seated position is Approved Hip Healthy by the International Hip Dysplasia Institute.
- 5 POSITIONS: Our infant carrier wrap grows with your child – choose the best position from sling wrap for newborn babies & preemies to an upright seated carrier for infants up to 35lbs.
This baby wrap carrier doesn’t come with the frustration of using a traditional baby wrap.
It is completely made of light-weight and soft natural cotton, it is buckle free and it comes with a double-loop design for security.
It is available in various sizes and it lets you wear your baby in 5 different ways.
You can keep it in a carry bag when not in use and it is also washing machine and dryer safe.
- Made with light-weight cotton
- Double-loop design for security
- Lets you wear baby in five different ways
- Washing machine and dryer safe
- Comes with a carry bag
- It can be too warm during the hot season
- No back carry position
Compared to wrap carriers, they are easier to wear.
This is the main reason why it is popular with beginners or people who might have issues with knowing how to wear and adjust a wrap carrier.
Tula Free to Grow Baby Carrier
Our Rate: 4.6/5
- INNOVATIVE BODY PANEL: adjusts in three width settings and two height settings to allow for an ergonomic snug position from newborn, infant and early toddlerhood. No infant insert needed!
- MULTIPLE ERGONOMIC POSITIONS: back carry and front carry options to provide a natural, ergonomic position best for long term, comfortable carrying that promotes healthy hip and spine development for baby
- DUAL-ADJUSTMENT PADDED STRAPS: provide optimal neck & shoulder comfort and offers quick and easy adjustments for multiple wearers
- WIDE PADDED WAISTBAND: provides superior comfort to help evenly distribute weight, also includes large front pocket
- EASY-TO-ADJUST DESIGN: allows for long-time carrier use from infancy to toddlerhood, can be used from 7 - 45 pounds and does not need an infant insert
The Tula Free to Grow Baby Carrier baby carrier is made from cotton and it is cool all seasons.
It grows with the baby due to its adjustable panel that lets you alter its height and width.
It has a waistband which allows even distribution of weight.
At the front, there is a large pocket for keeping things you or your baby might need.
It comes with a removable hood with snaps that gives the baby good neck support and sun protection.
Multiple positions that promote hip and spine development are allowed.
- Grows with baby
- Machine washable
- Removable hood for support, sun protection and privacy when breastfeeding.
- Multiple carry positions for healthy hip and spine development
- Easily adjustable
- Machine washable
- Large front pocket
- No front carry position
Best Multi-Position Baby Carrier
Babies tend to have preferences when it comes to carrying options.
Some babies prefer the front-facing option because they have more fun being able to see everything while some prefer the comfort of the backpack position.
The backpack position is also practical for performing other tasks while carrying the baby.
Ergobaby Multi Position, 360 baby carrier
Our Rate: 4.5/5
- Breathable, lightweight all-mesh carrier
- All carry positions, including ergonomic, forward facing option
- Lumbar support for extra back comfort as your baby grows
The Ergobaby Multi Position, 360 baby carrier is an award-winning baby carrier with an adjustable carrier seat which lets you carry your baby on the front, on your back or on the hip.
The shoulder straps are padded and this helps with distributing the baby’s weight evenly, and there is a waist belt for lumbar support.
It’s machine washable and it comes with a UPF 50+ babyhood for privacy when breastfeeding and for sun protection.
- All position baby carrier
- Padded shoulder straps
- Waist Belt for lumbar support
- UPF50+ tuck away baby hood for breastfeeding and protection from sun and wind
- Machine washable
- It has no pockets
Best Baby Carrier on a Budget
Just because you are not willing to spend much on a baby carrier doesn’t mean you can’t get something good.
For a very reasonable price, our selection will do a very good job.
Infantino 4 in 1 baby carrier
Our Rate: 4.5/5
- Infants 8-32 pounds
- 4 ways to carry baby-facing in narrow seat for newborns, facing in wide seat for older babies, facing out narrow seat for babies with head control and back carry wide seat for older babies and toddlers
- Includes wonder cover 2-in 1 bib to protect your carrier and clothes
- Machine washable
- Adjustable seat, leg openings, straps and waist belt for a completely customized fit
This has 3 front carry positions and 1 back carry position.
The Flip Advanced Carrier lets you narrow the seat for little infants, which increases comfort.
It has a padded head support for making your baby comfortable and a fashionable Wonder Cover Bib for protecting your clothing and carrier.
The shoulder pads are adjustable for comfort when carrying.
It is also machine washable.
This baby carrier is definitely worth its price if not more.
- Padded head support
- 4 carry positions
- The Wonder Cover Bib protects you and the carrier from spit-up and drool
- Padded and adjustable shoulder straps
- Flip Advanced Carrier for adjusting seat and leg openings
- Machine washable
- Great price
- No hood for breastfeeding and protection
Best Baby Carrier for Toddlers
For rapidly growing babies, a sturdier carrier is more suitable because of its ability to support a larger body and weight.
Lilliebaby Carry on Airflow 3 in 1 baby carrier
Our Rate: 4.4/5
- TODDLER CARRIER: The LÍLLÉbaby CarryOn is made specifically to be roomy for growing toddlers. Features a wider and taller torso than most carriers, providing you an ergonomic way to carry your child.
- STROLLER-FREE: Caretakers can comfortably carry little ones up to 60 lbs. for easy, hands-free access to spaces where strollers aren’t permitted. Ideal for babies who have outgrown the LÍLLÉbaby COMPLETE carrier.
- HANDS-FREE COMFORT: When on-the-go, LÍLLÉbaby's baby carriers & toddler carriers let you hold your child in comfort and style. Adjustable side panels widen & narrow the seat for comfortable hip positioning.
- NATURAL BOND: LÍLLÉbaby makes baby products that bring functional style to parents. We want parents to be able to keep baby close while building a natural bond with comfortable baby carriers and slings.
- FOR LÍLLÉBABY innovation is always top of mind. We won’t rest until every caretaker has access to the best babywearing solutions, allowing families to keep comfort, closeness, and independence in balance.
It is specifically designed for growing toddlers and it also has a lumbar support accessory for the baby.
It is made with a breathable 3D mesh and also equipped with 3-way adjustable straps.
It has three carry positions and it is machine washable.
It comes with a removable hood and two pockets.
These characteristics of the Lilliebaby makes it a suitable and healthy option for babies.
- Min weight is 20 lbs
- Maximum weight is 60lbs
- Removable hood
- Lumbar support
- Breathable 3D mesh
- 3-way adjustable straps
- Two zippered pockets
- Machine washable
- Three carry positions (backpack, hip, and front)
- No front carry position
Best Carrier for Plus Size or Tall Moms & Dads
There are a lot of baby strollers with good qualities but most of the time, the makers don’t consider the height of the caregiver.
For tall people, adjusting the straps to get that perfect fit could be a bit difficult.
Ergobaby Omni 360 Baby carrier
Our Rate: 4.6/5
- Ergobaby stands by our products so you can carry your precious cargo with confidence. If you find a manufacturing or material defect, Ergobaby will replace your carrier or part at no charge. That’s the ErgoPromise.
- All-in-one baby carrier: adapts to your growing baby from newborn to toddler (7-45lbs, 0-48 months). no separate infant insert required. All carry positions included, face baby in or out, wear on the hip or back. Large storage pouch also included.
- Our cool Air Mesh baby carriers are made with soft and durable mesh fabric that provides ergonomic support for baby while allowing for pristine air flow; includes UPF 50+ tuck away baby hood for sun/wind protection, privacy/easy breastfeeding
- Comfort: Exceptional lower back comfort with padded lumbar support waist belt and extra padded shoulder straps with the option to wear 2 ways: crossed or "backpack style". Waist belt can be worn high or low to maximize comfort, especially post C-section.
- Ergonomic AS BABY grows: Acknowledged as hip Healthy by the International Hip Dysplasia Institute. Adjustable bucket seat supports baby in an ergonomic natural "M" Position in all carry positions.
As its name indicates, this baby carrier has all carry positions and it is also suitable for different body types.
You can use it from birth and continue to use it as your child grows.
It is made from lightweight and breathable mesh and it has a crossable and padded shoulder strap.
The waist belt is padded and it also provides lumbar support. It comes with a detachable pouch for safekeeping and a UPF 50+ tuck away babyhood.
- Suitable for different body types
- Adapts from newborn to toddler
- Has all carry positions (front, inward, hip and back)
- Padded and crossable shoulder strap
- Padded waist belt for lumbar support
- Made with lightweight and breathable mesh.
- UPF 50+ hood for breastfeeding and protection from harsh weather
- Removable pouch
- Awarded as hip healthy by the International Hip Dysplasia Institute
- A bit pricey
- Not machine washable
Best Sling Ring Baby Carrier
A sling ring is a fabric that is looped over one shoulder and tightened with rings.
It is very easy to use and great for newborn cuddles.
VLOKUP Sling Ring Baby Carrier
Our Rate: 4.3/5
- Excellent warm weather baby ring sling. Perfect for everyday use, in the shower, and at the pool, beach, or water park. 15 colors available, choose the one you appreciate with. Babywearing has never been easier and looked so good!
- Dry quickly. 100% polyester jersey mesh lends breathability, keeps it light in the water. Enjoy the bond with your baby in the water
- Vlokup Baby carriers place baby in the optimal position - high on the mommy's chest and close enough to kiss. This is extremely important in any water environment or daily use
- Metal Aluminum Rings, most moms and dads' choice, easier to adjust than plastic rings. Portable packing pocket can be put in your diaper bag easily. For babies 8-30 lbs. Machine washable
- Design in the USA, made in China. Meets CPSC/CPSIA Safety Requirements. Buy Now and get a free Baby Drool Bibs!
It is great for hot or warm weather and vacations.
It is made with polyester jersey, which makes it dry quickly and very light in water.
Instead of plastic rings, it has metal aluminum rings for easy adjustment.
It has a portable packing pocket and there are it is machine washable.
You also have the option of choosing from 15 different colors.
- Suitable for warm weather and vacations
- Made with polyester jersey
- Light in water and dries quickly
- 15 colors to choose from
- Metal aluminum rings for easy adjustment
- Machine washable
- Portable packing pocket
- Not suitable for cold weather
- Doesn’t come with a hood for breastfeeding and sun protection
Best Baby Carrier With Hip Seat
Some baby carriers have the option of using either the carrier or the hip seat.
You can go for whichever one is more comfortable and suitable for you and your baby.
Bebamour foldable baby carrier with hip seat
Our Rate: 4.5/5
- USE the whole baby carrier or the single hip-seat. Different positions that suit baby.
- 6 ways to carry baby for you TO choose according to your baby’s growth, details in paper instruction manual.
- Adjustable shoulder strap and waist strap HAVE broad and wide cotton padding (waist-belt adjusts 65-118CM / 25-46.5")
- Attached IS a head hood and 2 baby bibs. THEY are removable. There is a zipper pocket on the belt.
- There is a piece of foam wedge pad inside the hip seat, which IS used to be a seat for your baby when using the baby carrier. If you want TO wash the carrier, take off the foam pad, and hand wash.
This baby carrier gives you 6 different ways to carry your baby but it all depends on your baby’s growth.
It comes with an adjustable shoulder strap and a waist strap that is well padded with cotton.
There is a zipper pocket on the belt. Also, it comes with a hood and 2 baby bibs.
The hip seat has a foam wedge pad for comfort.
- 6 carry positions
- Adjustable and cotton-padded shoulder strap
- Adjustable and cotton-padded waist strap
- Zipper pocket
- 2 baby bibs
- A piece of foam wedge pad in the hip seat
- Can be washed (hand washed)
- Not machine washable
- Doesn’t support breastfeeding
Best Hybrid Baby Carrier
This type combines the qualities of a wrap baby carrier (closeness, comfort) with the ease of a buckle carrier.
Boppy Comfylit baby carrier hybrid
Our Rate: 4.5/5
- THREE EASY STEPS: Babywearing made easy in 3 simple steps: click, strap, tie and go. The ComfyFit Baby Carrier allows for two comfy carrying positions; front facing-in and front facing-out.
- YOGA INSPIRED FABRIC: The ComfyFit Baby Carrier is made of soft spandex material and comes in one size, making it quick and easy to share among caregivers. The fabric is UPF 50+; make sure to use sunscreen on exposed skin.
- COMFORTABLE FIT WITH ERGONOMIC POSITIONING: Padded waist belt and comfortable wide shoulder straps help evenly distribute your baby’s weight. Perfect fit, no infant insert required; recommended baby weight: 8-35 lbs.
- EASY CARE, MACHINE WASHABLE: The Boppy Carrier is machine washable because little messes happen.
- AWARD-WINNING QUALITY: Acknowledged as a “hip-healthy” product by the International Hip Dysplasia Institute when used as directed. The Boppy ComfyFit Baby Carrier has also won several awards: 2018 & 2019 Parent Tested Parent Approved Product, 2018 Chicago Baby Show Honorable Mention, 2018 Best of Baby TTPM Award and 2018 Baby Maternity Magazine Product of the Year Award.
This carrier evenly blends the good characteristics of a structured baby carrier and baby wrap.
It’s also easy to use in just three steps.
It has a 4-way stretch which makes movement for you and your baby easy.
There two carrying positions and it easily fits, no matter the height or weight of parent.
It has comfortable shoulder straps that help in even distribution of baby weight and it comes with a zippered pocket for storing things you may need.
It is machine washable and it comes with a pouch for keeping the carrier.
- Award-winning product
- Acknowledged as hip healthy by the International Hip Dysplasia Institute
- 4-way stretch for ease of movement
- Easy to use
- 2 carrying positions
- It fits most body sizes
- Comfortable shoulders straps for easy distribution of weight
- Zippered pocket
- Machine washable
- It comes with a pouch for storing the carrier
- No hood for breastfeeding and sun protection
- No back or carrying option
Can you wear a baby carrier on a plane?
Yes, you can.
People are allowed to wear their baby through the airport and on the plane.
But during TAKE OFF and LANDING, you are required to use the loop seat belt attachment provided by the airline for any child sitting on your lap.
You are free to use your carrier during the whole flight, even while walking up and down the aisles or while sitting.
But do not use a baby carrier during take-off and landing because using the baby carrier and the seat belt could cause more injury to the child in case of an accident.
This is why flight attendants ask that you remove your baby carrier during take-off and landing.
Can you wear a baby carrier through airport security?
According to the official TSA procedure, you are allowed to walk through the security checkpoint if your baby is in a sling but may have to go through additional screening.
If your baby carrier has a metal frame, you’ll have to take your baby out so that the carrier can be put through metal screening.
Why buy a baby carrier for flying?
- During a flight, any baby with you must sit on your lap which can be quite tiring on a long flight. Having to carry a baby throughout a flight without any form of help can be quite a task, especially if the baby isn’t calm. You may even end up disturbing other passengers. A carrier will make your flight less stressful and will also keep your baby calm while being close to you.
- When traveling, there is usually a lot to carry and do at once. By using a carrier, your hands are free to carry other stuff or do other things while your baby is also being taken care of.
- Parents feel better when they know that there little precious ones are close to them, where they are comfortable and protected. Knowing that your baby is wrapped up to you and so close to you will make you feel safer
- When you’re flying with a baby, you may have to stand up every now during the flight so that you can keep your baby calm. Using a baby carrier makes it easier and takes the stress off when you have to stand up and walk during the flight in order to put your baby to sleep.
- For most people, it’s either a stroller or a baby carrier. Why go for a stroller when you can easily go for a baby carrier? With a baby carrier, you may not need to carry a stroller to the airport with all your luggage and by doing that, you’ll be able to avoid the stress of checking-in your stroller and the worries. If you really need a stroller, rent one at your destination.
- Some parents would agree that walking with toddlers could qualify as a sports activity that requires a lot of patience and tolerance. As funny as this may sound, it’s not usually as funny in reality. If they are not running around doing what they shouldn’t be doing, they are probably walking too slow. With no toddler walking with you to slow you down, you’ll be able to walk faster and control them better.
How to choose the right baby carrier for flying?
When purchasing a baby carrier, you should consider the following in order to make sure you are making the best choice for you and your child:
1) The age of your kid
Each baby carrier has a minimum and maximum weight limit.
Some are also designed for a particular age group.
Do some research first to know if a baby carrier is appropriate for your child’s age.
Choose a carrier that allows ergonomic positions so that your child can have a correct and healthy development.
A good carrier should give the baby the needed support without causing any discomfort.
Choosing a wrong baby carrier could be detrimental to your child’s health and cause discomfort, especially if your child has a medical problem relating to the bones.
3) Durable non-toxic materials
Make sure the fabric the carrier is made from is durable and not toxic.
Babies have the tendency to suck or chew the fabric of the carrier and this could ruin the fabric or harm them if the fabric is toxic.
4) Depends on your preferred carry position
There are various carry positions for baby carriers.
After considering what you think is best for you and your little one, go for a product that has that right position and support for that position.
Make sure it’s something that you are comfortable with and works for you.
5) Easy to wear
Go for something that doesn’t have a complicated design so that you can wear it as quickly as possible, especially if a situation demands it.
Complicated designs are unnecessary anyway and most of the time, they are not worth it.
You can always get a different product with the same design and lesser complexity.
Machine washable or dryer safe baby carriers are easier to clean and this makes them last longer while keeping your baby away from germs.
You should also consider purchasing a drool pad, which is great for keeping drool and spit away from the baby carrier.
Generally, the easier it is to clean, the longer your carrier is likely to last.
So, make sure it can be cleaned easily.
Consider how much you are able to afford and then, make some research. You’ll be surprised that there are baby carriers that will get the job done and you won’t have to spend above your budget.
Instead of going for the big brands that cost a lot, try some generic brands.
What you’ll discover may surprise you in a good way.
8) Lightweight and easy to store
Lightweight baby carriers put less pressure on the caregiver using it.
Also, some carriers come with a pouch for easy storage when they are not being used.
Traveling itself is stressful enough on its own which is why you should really consider buying a baby carrier.
Handling a baby and a million other things that need to get done during an air journey is not as easy as most parents make it look like and that is why a baby carrier can come in really handy.
They are also a great substitute for strollers.
They are generally easy to use and they also help to take away the stress that comes with traveling by leaving your hands free so that that you can accomplish tasks quickly.
When choosing a baby carrier, there are a couple of things you need to consider and considering our selections, the Ergobaby Omni 360 Baby carrier is the obvious winner.
Even though it is a bit pricey, it has all the qualities a good baby carrier should have, which makes it totally worth it.
The amazing design, which provides comfort for the baby and caregiver, and other additional accessories, such as the UPF 50+ hood and the pouch, are one of the many qualities that make it stand out.
This baby carrier is also great for almost all body types.
The breathable mesh is made of also keeps your baby cool especially when it is warm.
It also provides lumbar support for the caregiver so that you don’t ruin your back after using it for a long time.
As a parent, you need to take care of your little one but there is nothing bad in getting some help. For a reasonable price, you can get yourself the help you need in the form of a baby carrier.
Parents are like superheroes but even superheroes need cool gadgets.
Last update on 2020-03-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API